The School Based Youth Health Nurse works with a preventative focus including early identification, brief intervention and harm minimisation activities. The nurse is often the first point of contact for young people, their families and school community members seeking information, advice and support for health matters. For issues requiring treatment or intensive counselling, they play an important role in providing referral for clients to the relevant agencies. School Based Youth Health Nurses do not provide or teach first aid, care for wounds or administer medications in their role.
Within their allocated schools the School Based Youth Health Nurse provides support and assistance to address the health needs of young people, their families and school community members in consideration with local needs.
The nurse provides one-on-one confidential consultations for individuals which might include topics such as the following:
The nurse provides support for school community and staff by offering the following:
- Health and Wellbeing Concerns
- Relationships – Family, Peer and Boy/Girl or other
- Alcohol, Tobacco and other Drugs
- Sexual Health
- Stress and or unhappiness
- Healthy eating, exercise, weight and eating concerns
- Linkages and referrals to other services
- Health Promotion Activities
- Provision of Health Related Resources
- Work with staff to assist with some health related/promotion activities within the classroom/school environment
- Linking school community with relevant community and other services
Make an appointment
The current School Based Youth Health Nurse Mandy Rampton works on Tuesday and Friday and is located in the Administration building.
To make a private and confidential appointment with the School Based Youth Health nurse please send an email to email@example.com